While I loved to compete and perform in sports and dance, the idea of speaking in public was a nightmare for me. “As long as I don’t have to talk or sing, I enjoy being in front of an audience,” was my response when someone would talk about public speaking.
But I couldn’t be silent forever and make the kind of impact I wanted so I found my voice when I became a coach, speaker, and patient advocate.
I’d gotten by for a very long time avoiding speaking in public so why did I bother to invest the time and energy to overcome my fear? For several reasons, including:
- Expertise – We all have access to tools, insights, and resources that can help others. If we had to learn everything on our own and never tapped into the expertise and experience of others, we wouldn’t accomplish much in life. Sharing our expertise is a gift to others.
- Expediency – I needed to be able to reach out and be able to support large groups of people because one on one outreach simply takes too long. It’s impractical to, for example, go to each individual in an organization and have the same conversation over and over when you could, instead, share your information in a meeting.
- Collaboration – When we share our ideas with a group, it can spark an exploration and expansion of the original idea.
- Growth – Facing a personal fear and stepping outside our comfort zone invites growth. From growth comes opportunity.
How Did I Do It?
I’ll be honest. It wasn’t easy (but it can be easier for you). Why? Because there were a few things I didn’t know such as:
- What steps to take to become a powerful speaker – the “doing” part
- What thoughts, qualities, and characteristics I needed to bring to my speaking – the “being part”
The good news for me was that one of my strengths is being able to create a repeatable process through experimenting and observing myself as I learn something new.
The better news is that I pulled from all my training and tools such as:
- Completing an advanced coaching course in high performance to become a COR.E Performance Dynamics Specialist (CPDS)
- Video coaching with a leading expert in Hollywood who trained talents such as Drew Barrymore and live speaker training with Michael Port and other top trainers
- Two years as Assistant Training Coach presenting on coaching skills to hundreds of coaches
- Close to a hundred hours of live webinar facilitation
- More than 20 years of experience as a filmmaker
- More than five years of speaking live for non-profit, healthcare, and business organizations to audiences
to overcome my fears so I could do things like this…
The best news for you is that you don’t have to reinvent the wheel because I’ve created a private Facebook group, “Expertly Speaking,” you can join where I’ll be posting free tips, resources, and information on how to communicate clearly and in a more empowered way so you can:
- Be an effective advocate for yourself or someone else
- Share your expertise and knowledge powerfully and with ease
- Advance your career through great presentations
- Learn about six critical areas that help you break through fear and speak effectively
Whether you’re a healthcare professional, scientific researcher, executive, or someone who needs to be able to speak up as an advocate, you’re welcome to jump in and grow with us.
Click here to join today if you haven’t already…and feel free to share the link with someone you know who could benefit from being able to speak with more ease either in their personal life or in their career.
Let’s take the fear out and put the fun into public speaking!