Here is a list of my Top 5 Procrastination Tools:
- Facebook – no explanation needed.
- Organizing Salsa Events and Outings – Okay, this isn’t all bad. I work at home so it is healthy to have an outside interest that is fun, good exercise and is part of a great social life. There are times, however, when I allow it to distract me from my day’s priorities.
- Wandering the Web – This is different than surfing. I surf when I am looking for information. Wandering is when I wonder about a topic that is of interest but not something that moves me toward my goal. Not bad in and of itself but when I get so far down the links that I can’t recall what it was I started to research in the beginning, I know I am wandering. Wandering = avoiding.
- Thinking it over – Again, nothing wrong with giving a situation, task or idea some consideration but when I get to the point where I’ve spent more time thinking about it than it would take for me to complete it I know I’ve landed back in procrastination.
- Writing a blog about my Top 5 Procrastination Tools – Yes, I have committed to blogging every week day so I do have to write at some point but today I’m writing this during the time I blocked out for reworking Chapter 1 of my memoir. Earlier, I employed Tip #1, 2 AND 3 to procrastinate on the blog which triggered the domino effect of pushing my blog writing time into my memoir writing time.
As a creative thinker, I know there are points when procrastination serves me. Sometimes it is part of me getting to the core concept of what I’m working on or coming up with new approaches and out of the box concepts. I also know that with some tasks, when you procrastinate there are occasions when a project changes and that item is no longer relevant.
But on days when it keeps me from moving my goals, dreams and desires forward and stops me from living fully in the moment and being on purpose, I must then ask myself what it is I am avoiding.
I was going to keep writing and deliver my tips for working through procrastination but will reign myself in and jump over to my rewrite.
Check back in on Monday for my 5 Top Tips for Moving Past Procrastination Into Action and how I was able to create the shift into action today!